Sunday, April 15, 2012

4/12/2012 Chalking and New Games

    This week in class we started our long group presentations. The first group did a project where we went outside and drew with chalk about our days, our feelings on different things, and general reflection. They designed this as an activity for people with HIV/AIDS, but I can see how this would work for a multitude of populations. I think it would be beneficial for children who are experiencing bullying, victims of domestic violence, or patients with mental disorders. I feel that it would be best aimed at populations that want to focus on the mental aspect of therapy rather than the physical. I liked doing this activity because I've had a stressful week, and it gave me a chance to relax, look back on it, and vent my frustrations. It allowed me to look back on not just my day, but I looked back for several years. We had the chance to write a letter to anyone we wanted. Patients participating in this activity may write to their abuser, to their disease, or a person that they miss which is what I chose to do. There were times in the activity when I was happy, frustrated, sentimental, and finally at peace with it all. I can see doing this in the future as an activity with whatever population I work with.
   The second group led us in New Games. This is something I was familiar with from REC 200. They attempted to adapt the games to different populations. This is always a tricky task when participants don't actually have a specific impairment. We played several games where there was no winner or looser. This can be a difficult concept when working with competitive, college-age students. I like new games because they are good for children who are not good at competitive games and find them discouraging. They are best for children or participants with developmental disabilities. With new games it is important to make sure directions are explained clearly because participants often look for a motive or a winner in the game which is not what new games are about. Without clear directions the games can be frustrating, but when you understand the concept of the game, anyone can have a good time. I can see doing new games in my future career if I work with children with autism, but not if I work with the elderly.
    Next week my group will present and we will have the opportunity to see many more possible activities to do in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment